Congratulations! You did it! You’ve set aside time for yourself, and made your first facial appointment…now what? In order to get the best bang for your buck, and getting one step closer to your skincare goals, here are some things you should consider pre and post treatment.
Things to consider BEFORE treatment:
1. Hold off on exfoliating at least three days before your facial. Since we will do this for you during treatment, it is important to not overstimulate the skin with excessive exfoliation. Overstimulation can lead the skin to become more sensitive, which can hinder you from seeing great results.
2. Do not use Retin A/Tretinoin or other dermatologist prescribed creams at least 5-7 days prior to any waxing or facial treatments. This will help prevent any skin from lifting from wax and keep your barrier healthy from overstimulation.
3. Skip shaving your facial hair/beard about 24-48 hours before treatment. If you are more sensitive prone, your freshly shaved skin can potentially cause discomfort or irritation when coming into contact with professional modalities i.e. diamond peel dermabrasion, steam, hot towels etc. Men – there’s no need to worry about your beard being too long, we can still make our way around your jawline without you having to change your whole look for a treatment.
Things to consider AFTER treatment:
You’ve just left your first facial, and your skin feels amazingly soft and you are glowing! You’ve learned so much during this experience but you just can’t remember what your Aesthetician told you about how to care for your skin for the rest of the day…should you cleanse the night after treatment? Can you wear makeup? Can you sunbathe, shave, workout, have a drink??..
1. It’s best to wait at least two hours before wearing makeup post facial, if you absolutely must, or have an event you need to get to. Preferably waiting to apply makeup until the next day but we know you’re only human and if wearing makeup makes you more confident then go for it girl, just wait a few hours first.
2. Skip cleansing the night of your treatment. Your Esty just put some good quality products on your skin to finish treatment. If you’re feeling dry by the time you’re going to bed, feel free to add some more moisturizer. Cleansing the night of treatment can lead to excessive dryness and irritation.
3. Yay! You’ve just earned a day off from the gym, no sweating post wax or facial treatment for at least 24 hours. *for chemical peels no sweating for 48 hours* We don’t want to irritate your beautiful glow with sweat, or revert your efforts to brightening your complexion. BIKINI WAX CLIENTS: no sweating means no hanky panky, yep, I said no funny business. Yes, we know your kitty looks pretty but please let it breathe and recover from your wax before jumping in the sheets. This will keep ingrown hairs at bay. Throw on some loose sweatpants, kick your feet up & drink that glass of wine!
4. Avoid sun exposure for a few days following your facial/wax and most importantly WEAR SPF, whether it is raining or you work inside. The truth of the matter is that even when traveling in our cars, our bodies are still being exposed to UVA/UVB rays. *pro tip: getting into the habit of wearing sunscreen NO MATTER WHAT, will help prevent sun damage, premature aging, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (those dark spots on your cheeks and forehead that keep you up at night). Wearing a broad spectrum SPF 30 on your face, neck and chest is sufficient to protect from damage. If you are adventuring in outdoor activities it is important to reapply said SPF regularly, every 2 hours.
5. Again, skip the exfoliation for a few days post treatment until your skin has acclimated – overstimulation causes irritation and we want you to reap the most benefit out of your treatment.
6. Skip from using your derm prescribed creams(Retin A/ Retinol) after treatment as well, about 3-5 days will suffice.
7. For clients who have been dermaplaned , peeled or Revitpen’d , please make sure you stay on top of your moisturizer. It is completely normal for your skin to feel a bit dry after a deep exfoliation. So to avoid any discomfort, flaking and to minimize peeling – use a moisturizer in the morning and at night.
Still have questions about being prepared for your treatment? Give us a call, email us or find us on Instagram and message us. We’re here to help you feel good about your skincare journey and welcome any questions you may have. There’s no such thing as a silly question when it comes to your skin.
Licensed Aesthetician, Animal Lover, Outdoor Enthusiast